This post is meant to be both humorous & thought-provoking. I invite you to laugh with me. But please think with me also . . .
- We create & consume porn by the truckload & watch Miley Cyrus twerk on TV, but we’re afraid to discuss real sexuality & issues that actually matter like birth control, teen pregnancy, breastfeeding, & rape/sexual abuse.
- We complain about the lack of decent guys (& girls) but we participate in a hook-up culture that promotes zero self-respect & commitment. We say we want to keep things simple, not realizing that sex is never simple, yet relationships needn’t be half as complicated as we seem to make them.
- The two major political parties are a farce. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves.
- Religious groups are becoming increasingly polarized. As more & more people stray from mainstream religion, those who remain are becoming increasingly radical.
- The people who oppose abortion 100% of the time regardless of circumstances are very often the exact same people who oppose birth control or at least do not support the notion that easily accessible birth control would help reduce the incidence of abortion.
- Our economy sucks but the average wedding still costs upwards of $20,000.
- Skinny jeans are still in style.
- We’re still holding onto the idea that cholesterol is the main culprit behind heart disease when research has shown time & time again that this is absolutely false.
- The American school system foregoes teaching Spanish & other “foreign” languages until middle & high school, WELL past the prime age at which the brain is capable of learning new languages.
- Rock radio stations are increasingly hard to find.
- Bro country exists . . . And there is enough of it to warrant naming this god-awful phenomenon.
- TV shows & movies almost NEVER get Southern accents right. Apparently no one in Hollywood has ever actually been to the South.
- There is a large segment of the population who still believes homosexuality is wrong. I just can’t compute that one at all.
- The average cashier in America hasn’t been instructed on the importance of handing customers their change with all the bills facing in the same direction. The OCD/pseudo-OCD population of America, of which I am part, collectively cringes.
- Everyone seems to believe in separation of church & state for every religion except their own.
- Speaking of religion, you can believe anything you want in the name of religion, you can even exhibit prejudice & discrimination against certain groups of people, but if you object to traditional religion (at least parts of it anyway) because of logical fallacies, suddenly YOU’RE the crazy one.
- Jersey Shore existed.
- Kim Kardashian has a career.