Some time in the past year a friend of mine from college suggested I start a blog when I was feeling kind of bored with life. It’s actually an idea I’ve been tossing around for a long time. As much as I love writing & photography, a blog seems like the perfect way to share all of my ideas, experiences, & questions about life. But I’ve always hesitated to actually do it because I wasn’t sure how to get started on the technology side of things & in addition I feel a little arrogant thinking that people will actually WANT to read the things I write. But nonetheless I’ve been inspired by one of my best friends who just started her own fantastic blog so I’ve decided to give it a whirl.
For my first post I decided to keep things light & humorous. So here goes!
I’m including a picture of my adorable welsh corgi puppy, Chaucer. You’re welcome.
25 Signs You Might Actually Be an Adult After All
- Half the texts you receive are from your job asking if you can come in to work an extra shift. (Ok, maybe not half but a significant portion.)
- Your Facebook newsfeed is filled with pictures of babies, pets, & recipes instead of parties & clubs.
- You can say “5 years ago when I was in college.”
- You can say “10 years ago when I was in high school.”
- The signs at the grocery store that say “Your birthday must be on or before such & such day of such & such year to buy alcohol or cigarettes” freak you out. How could that year possibly be in the 90’s?!
- Speaking of which, how is it possible that the 80’s are no longer 20 years ago?!
- If you don’t already have kids, the idea of having them someday becomes less & less strange even if only two years ago you couldn’t imagine it at all.
- Unless you work night shift, staying up past 11 pm qualifies as staying up late.
- You see teenagers at the mall & wonder what the heck is wrong with them. Surely you never acted THAT annoying, right?
- A drink at home is infinitely more enticing than a drink out . . . Who wants to pay the ridiculous mark-up?
- You realize that karma is real, & sometimes it’s nice to watch her work.
- You no longer get carded (or at least a lot less frequently).
- People refer to you as Mr. or Mrs./Ms. & you want to tell them you’re not old enough to go by that but then you realize you actually are.
- Instead of asking “Are you married?” people skip straight to “Do you have kids?”
- You no longer obsess over every single aspect of your appearance before leaving the house b/c you’ve realized no one actually cares that much.
- You no longer care if your clothes are totally “in style” & thus you don’t force yourself to wear things you don’t like just to “be cool.”
- You’ve come to the realization that you will never please everyone & not everyone is going to like you. And you are totally ok with this.
- Every time you consider making a big purchase you think about how many hours you have to work to pay for it.
- You wonder how the heck your mom managed to work full time & still cook a meal every night.
- On a similar note, you find yourself actually enjoying cooking even if you don’t do it as much as you know you should.
- You find babies cute for the first time in your life. (Ok, I guess a lot of people have always found babies cute.)
- You have a retirement plan/account. Or you at least think about getting one.
- You no longer know anyone in your local high school. However, you know a lot of the people on the arrest docket. Or in the marriage/baby announcements.
- Modern pop music makes your ears bleed.
- You just read through this list and laughed because you know these things are true. But you are totally ok with that because you have realized that just being alive is such an incredible blessing.